Things I liked about Superman Returns:
- The reuse of the original John Williams theme and style of opening titles. (Geek.)
- Marlon Brando, still acting despite being dead for several years.
- Brandon Routh. (Did you expect me to say anything else?)
- Kevin Spacey.
- The image of Superman with car aloft, taken directly from the cover of Action Comics #1 of June 1938 (though on the cover he was smashing it, not placing it gently down as in the film). (Geek.)
Things I disliked:
- The pacing. Oh, it’s so slow.
- The cute kid.
- Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. (I’m not worried about her bouncing around an airplane cabin without sustaining a single bruise, because, well, Superman can fly.)
- Richard Branson as a shuttle crew member (you could also spot “Virgin Galactic” in the background of one scene). All credit to him, he’s a PR genius. But, gah.
On balance, it was OK, but no more than that. Bryan Singer did a better job on X-Men.
Avaragado’s rating: fourteen pretzels
Post film, post pint, we ate at Fitzbillies. For some, the first ever visit. It could be the last too: small menu, very small portions. My creme brulee was no more than two inches in diameter, probably less. But not cheap, oh no.
Disappointing. We undertipped, despite a 12.5% tip being added to the bill as we were a party of five (since when was that a large party?).
Avaragado’s rating: a stack of seven mini pizzas on a big plate drizzled with “jus”