The first Secret Policeman’s Ball in umpteen years took place last night at the Albert Hall. A host of celebrities, etc. Tickets were £100 a go. So we didn’t.
Instead, we watched live from the comfort of the Picturehouse Cinema. Just £12 a ticket, and shorter toilet and bar queues. And no missing the last train.
We ate early; De Luca was unsurprisingly almost empty at 5pm. The show started at nearly 7:45, fifteen minutes later than scheduled and 45 minutes later than shown on our tickets. Bah, to think we could have eaten at the far more respectable time of 5:30.
Here are one-word summaries of various acts.
- The Zutons: subdued
- Chevy Chase/Seth Green: OK
- Jimmy Fallon/Barry from Eastenders: good
- Dylan Moran: good
- Andrew Maxwell: hmmmm
- Jessica Stevenson/Julia Davies: OK
- Russell Brand: excellent
- Graham Norton/Ronnie Ancona/Jon Culshaw: impressive
- Al Murray: splendid
- The Magic Numbers: meh
- The Mighty Boosh: acceptable
- Sarah Silverman: odd
- Omid Djalili: poor
- Green Wing: poor
- Richard E. Grant + others: OK
- Natalie Imbruglia + David Armand: excellent
- Eddie Izzard: excellent
Avaragado’s rating: one unopened pot of honey