In response to the scandals surrounding various phone-in competitions on TV last year, I am now obliged by the Competition Regulations (Webular Logifications) Act 2008 to appoint an independent adjudicator to assess my 2008 predictions. Were I to foolishly score myself, I would be subject to criminal proceedings and the potential loss of my jacket.
So I now hand you over to Mr C. P. Walsh for his scoring.
We make it 27% — much better than last year :)
* Total number of gold medals in Beijing for Great Britain: seven
– 19, way off. No points.
* one of these in athletics, either Radcliffe or Ohuruogu.
– yes, Ohuruogu got a gold. 1 point
* The display by next hosts London in the closing ceremony is
– True, but unavoidable given Boris’ participation. Half a point.
* involves hundreds of pearly kings and queens.
– A red london bus, but no cockney pensioners. Nul points.
[1.5 out of 4]
* Germany beat Italy in the final on penalties (1-1 AET).
– Germany were in the final (1 point), but didn’t win, there was no
Italy, and no penalties.
[1 out of 4]
* I’m plumping for Hillary Clinton (no) /Bill Richardson (no) as the
Democratic ticket and eventual winners (yes). The Republicans go with
John McCain (yes)/Rudolph Giuliani (no).
[2 out of 5]
HERE IT IS
* A citizen journalist dies trying to get a story. I am truly amazed
this hasn’t happened yet.
– yes, Wei Wenhua.
[1 out of 1]
* Ken Livingstone is re-elected as London Mayor. Boris Johnson is his
usual shambolic laughing-stock self and nearly loses second place to
the Lib Dem candidate, Brian Paddick.
[0 out of 1]
AND FINALLY, AGAIN
* News at Ten returns on ITV1 to fanfares and indifference, (yes, but
no points) and is gone again by the autumn (no, still there). Sir Trev
retires (yes). (Note to future self: no points for it actually
returning, since that’s long-planned.)
[1 out of 2]
NOW THE WEATHER
* Britain has a scorching summer
– not really…
* Temperatures reach 100 F (37.8 C) in parts of Kent.
– Nope, highest recorded temp was Cambridge NIAB (Cambridgeshire)
recorded a maximum temperature of 30.2 °C on the 28th July.
* TV reporters perform the traditional compare-and-contrast manoeuvre
– showing clips of themselves from 2007 standing in several feet of
water then cutting to the same, baking hot location of 2008.
– No baking hot locations to be had :(
[0 out of 3]
YOURS FOR A TENNER
* the house price crash actually happens
* And then prices start to rise again, of course
– Not so far!
[1 out of 2]
* There’ll be a major skirmish, perhaps even a small war, between
India and Pakistan. It’ll be the fault of Bush’s “ally” in the War on
Trrr, President Musharraf.
– Rumblings intensified after Mumbai attacks, but nothing approaching
[0 out of 1]
* One point each: Richard Attenborough, Richard Briers, June
Whitfield, Michael Foot, Nancy Reagan.
– All very much alive and kicking!
[0 out of 5]
TOTAL SCORE: 7.5 out of 28
Many thanks Chris.
I haven’t given the first thought to predictions for 2009. You might see something over the weekend.
One response to “Avaragado’s 2008 predictions – results”
Can I set up a phone-vote hotline for the 2009 predictions? I want to be as rich as ant and dec!!!