I predict that Avaragado’s 2010 predictions will be made in 2011. Meanwhile, here are my predictions for what remains of 2009. I’ve listed them in tedious bullet points so that my official adjudicator has less to think about.
It looks just like my uncle Oscar
- Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger
- Best Actor: Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler
- Best Supporting Actress: Taraji P Henson, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- Best Actress: Kate Winslet, The Reader
- Best Picture: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- Best Director: Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
I’m glad you asked me that question, Jeremy
- Peter Mandelson loses his job as Business Secretary.
- Alistair Darling loses his job as Chancellor.
- Ed Balls becomes the new Chancellor.
Wonderful World of Nature
- Yellowstone does not explode and turn much of North America into (even more of) a wasteland.
- A global flu pandemic starts.
- There will be two earthquakes of magnitude 8 or above on the Richter scale.
Tedious Town of Tech
- SCO finally throws in the towel.
- Microsoft buys Palm to get the Pre.
- A statement posted to Twitter causes a publicly traded company’s stock to drop dramatically.
I’m 800, you know
- Cambridge win the University Boat Race.
- The Guided Bus does not fully open to paying customers this year.
- In the 2009 May Bumps, Caius finishes first in the Men’s First Division.
Des or Dickie? Des, obviously
- Usain Bolt takes the 100m world record to 9.60s +/- 0.02s
- England is the only home nation to qualify for the football World Cup in South Africa in 2010.
- Andy Murray loses in the men’s singles final at Wimbledon.
- Australia retains the Ashes.
- Lewis Hamilton wins more grands prix than any other driver in the 2009 F1 season.
- Felipe Massa is 2009 F1 world champion.
- Patrick Swayze
- Margaret Thatcher
- Norman Wisdom
- Peter Sallis
- Steve Jobs
- Britney Spears